The plight of many believers is trying to live in two opposite worlds…at the same time. They straddle an imaginary line of their own creation. This belief keeps them in good graces with God while affording them ample opportunities to engage in more materialistic affairs. Sound crazy? It is! Yet, this is the reality for many believers. This is why the Lord states emphatically in Revelation 3:15-16, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16 So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.”
The question is …what does this do to a person over an extended period of time? I believe it reinforces a bipolar type of existence. Here are some of the highlights:
- They alternate between being spiritually on fire to being spiritually washed out.
- Their highs are really high and their lows are really low.
- They fluctuate between varying moods. Their mood swings are noticeable to others and many times ugly.
- They struggle with the need to assess blame on someone or something.
- They are constantly trying to fill holes in their lives that cannot be filled. Their lives are like “sink holes.”
- The world revolves around them and their needs.
- They are spiritual “vampires”. They will tap into you, suck you dry, and leave you for dead.
Does this sound like anyone you know? Maybe you have been trying to help someone in this condition. Maybe this describes you? How do you end this never-ending cycle? I am glad you asked.
- The “imaginary line” doesn’t exist. God is not fooled by our flirtations with “the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life.” If we purposefully dance along the edges of sin, we will always fall into it. None of us can dance in these places. It is only imaginary because we tell ourselves we can flirt with the line between good and bad. So stop fooling yourself.
- The devil knows our playground! God is not fooled and the devil is not fooled either. He knows that those who play with fire get burned. Instead of being in the position of rebuking Satan out of our lives, he is allowed to tempt us into further sin. The bipolar believer loses his authority over the evil forces in their life. This authority can be taken back at any time, but those living in two worlds cannot discern the truth.
- Repent and Return to the Lord. By grace the Lord is always ready to receive a repentant and sincere believer. Repentance is not just a one time event, but a way of life. The goal should be to keep “short accounts with God.”
- Do not ride on the roller-coaster of a bipolar believer. Like I said, “It is a nice place to visit, but you never want to live there!” You cannot help a person if you are constantly on his/her’s emotional journey. Their lows are so low; you will never be able to pull them up. But they sure can pull you down and keep you down. Instead, be a constant variable in their life. One that is stable, growing in the Lord. This way you can reach out to them in love.
The Lord never intended for His children to live in this fashion. Through the sacrificial blood of Jesus Christ, we all can stand in freedom. But we cannot flaunt our freedom and push the lines between right and wrong. Those who desire spiritual freedom can be free. It is always our choice.